Cockroaches are among the most common pests that infest our homes. When you discover cockroaches, you need to act immediately But before you call an exterminator, consider getting rid of these pests by yourself. Here are several strategic tasks to help you eliminate cockroaches and keep them from your home.
How to get rid of cockroaches in your home
1. Clean your home.Cockroaches and most other pests will be attracted by clutter, trash and any food you leave sitting out. By maintaining a clean environment you’ll prevent cockroaches from being attracted to your home.
2. Eliminate any sitting water.ln order to survive, cockroaches need water. By taking away such water from them, you will increase your chances of getting rid of them. Always ensure that there is no water on the floors. In addition, leave the sink, showers and even bathtub dry after use.
3. Seal all cracks/ openings that may allow the pests to enter your home. Inspect all walls, floors and doors for any path where cockroaches may to enter. Use caulking gun to seal the cracks and be sure to pay close attention to the baseboards and areas behind countertops. Caulk any joint where pipes go into floors or the walls. Do this for heating ducts as well.
If caulking gun is unavailable, consider covering the seals using duct tape. For spaces at the base of the doors where cockroaches can travel underneath, placing a towel may help prevent them from entering.
4. Get a roach spray and apply it at the entrances to your home. Be sure to spray on all the floors and walls, both on the inside and outside of the home. This may help keep cockroaches away.
5. You may also consider setting cockroach traps at several strategic spots around your home. Check your local grocery store for these traps and set them in places where you think cockroaches are frequent in your home like near trash cans and sinks.